The Oporto British School is an independent, British, day school for boys and girls aged 3-18.
It embraces all that is best in a top quality British School, which also has a strong commitment to international education and the nurturing of international awareness, with special recognition of the school’s British roots operating in a Portuguese environment.
It provides a disciplined and stimulating learning environment, which fosters creativity, independence of thought, and an enduring love of learning.
The school puts the individual’s needs, fulfilment of potential, and experience of success at the core of its aims, thus raising self-esteem.
Fundamental to our operation is the forging of good relations between all members of the community.
Each pupil aims for the best possible level of academic achievement according to individual ability.
We believe in providing a well-rounded education, which develops strong moral and ethical values and enables our pupils to respond to the challenges provided by the demands of modern life.
It is a priority to provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities to enhance the daily timetable.
Pupils are encouraged to become aware of their responsibilities as kind and thoughtful individuals, mindful of the needs of others, in order to become valued and caring members of the school, local and global communities.
To promote the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, in particular, Articles 2, 3 and 7.
Learning Objectives at the Oporto British School
During their time at the OBS, pupils will have benefited from an education based on the English National Curriculum, leading into the International Baccalaureate. This programme is recognized by the Portuguese Ministry of Education as giving them full and continuous equivalence in the Portuguese national system. They will have followed the programme of the International Baccalaureate Diploma. The vast majority of pupils will leave the OBS as bilingual and some will be multilingual. All pupils will have been given opportunities to develop skills and personal attributes on a wide front in the academic and pastoral curriculum, and in extra-curricular activities. All pupils will have benefited from being educated at the oldest British School in Continental Europe, which is committed to providing an International education.
All students at the OBS will have :
1. Developed a strong sense of awareness of local and global issues and their own place as active members of the international community
2. Learned to recognize global issues and their role in helping to promote understanding of the problems of the world, and their resolution
3. Developed knowledge, understanding and appreciation of their own and different beliefs and cultures
4. Developed skills of literacy, numeracy, ICT and problem-solving
5. Actively engaged in learning, using a variety of styles and techniques
6. Learned to work independently and collaboratively
7. Developed independence of thought and creativity
8. Responded to the challenge to pursue excellence through interactive, disciplined learning in curriculum and extra-curricular programmes
9. Developed as confident, articulate communicators
10. Built on their strengths, interests and experience in order to fulfill their potential
11. Experienced success and had it celebrated
12. Experienced enjoyment of and commitment to learning
13. Developed an awareness of a safe and healthy lifestyle
14. Formed and maintained worthwhile and satisfying relationships, based on respect for themselves and others
15. Developed self-confidence, social responsibility, consideration, and a wide range of social and life skills
16. Nurtured their own ambition for personal development and achievement
17. Recognized the importance of equality of opportunity, in order to challenge discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping
18. Developed strong moral, ethical and spiritual values
Adopted : 22 June 2004
Reviewed: January 2013