The Oporto British School opened in 1894 with 11 boys, with the Rev WS Picken MA as the Master. The School house, in the Porto suburb Foz do Douro, was rented at the time but was purchased in 1922 and remains part of the school’s facilities. Non-British boys were accepted in 1902, and girls in 1914. Pupil numbers remained small, and it was not until well after the Second World War that the roll exceeded 100. Chaplains of St James’ Church Porto were headmasters of the school until 1939.
The school, founded as a Prep School, continued as such until the mid-1950s, when some pupils remained to take their GCE examinations. The early 1960s saw a further development in provision for Portuguese pupils, as the school ensured that, in addition to following an English curriculum, a parallel course in Portuguese was also followed.
Growing pupil numbers through the 1970s and into the 1980s meant that a significant building programme was required to provide the accommodation and facilities for in excess of 200 pupils. A curriculum for post-IGCSE pupils was developed in the early 1990s with the provision of courses leading to the award of the International Baccalaureate Diploma. There are now in excess of 540 pupils in the school. The majority of pupils are from Portuguese backgrounds, but the proportion of international families continues to increase and is now over 48%.
Foundation of Oporto British School. The school opened on 2nd July with 11 British boys under the leadership of Reverend William Slyman Picken.
Reverend W. S. Picken stepped down as Chaplain of Oporto and as Headmaster of OBS. Reverend H. D’Albertanson was chosen to be the new Headmaster.
The first female students join OBS.
Purchase of the School house, in Foz do Douro, which remains today part of the school's facilities.
Mr. D. S. Adams takes the position of OBS Headmaster.
First OBS Licence.
First OBS Headmistress, Miss Betty Farn. She held the position for an extraordinary 38 years.
British Interim Consul declaration on the academic statutes of OBS.
Foundation of a New Sports Hall building. Donations were made by the “British Community Council” and by local British Port producers.
Extending of OBS curriculum into a secondary education. OBS starts preparing for GCE (General Certificate of Education) examinations at all levels.
Queen Elizabeth II visits the British Factory House in Porto and addresses OBS students.
Prince Philip visits Portugal and addresses OBS students.
Creation of the P.T.A - Parent and Teachers Association under the leadership of Mr. Gary York.
Portuguese equivalence granted by the Ministry of Education.
Inauguration of the new OBS building by the British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher.
OBS first recognition from ECIS (European Council of International Schools).
OBS is accepted as a provider of the International Baccalaureate Diploma and accredited as an IB School.
Centenary of OBS.
Inauguration of the Teage Hall, which houses the dining facilities, music rooms, and an auditorium for plays and concerts.
First CIS Accreditation.
The school’s first participation in the Model United Nations (MUN).
Inauguration of the new Yates Sports Hall.
Inauguration of the Farn Building which provides modern facilities with spacious classrooms.
OBS achieves international accreditation by COBIS
OBS celebrates its 25th anniversary as an IB school.
OBS celebrates its 125th anniversary
Inauguration of the “Blue House” and the new entrance gates.